Monday, August 1, 2011

The Dentist

I have been avoiding the dreaded dentist for over five years now, before I was officially diagnosed with Fibro, this week I could avoid it no longer.

The last time I went, they had to pull my back tooth, where a previous person who claimed to be a dentist did a bad root canal.  Thank goodness it is the very back tooth, and I wont be having a gaping hole in my mouth, vanity always the foremost concern.  However, after 8 needles of trying to numb that area with no success, and pulling half the tooth out, I could no longer take the pain.  Now it is time to have the other half taken out and a full cleaning and all that wonderful stuff.

I went to the same dentist that pulled half the tooth out, he was wonderful before, and decided to go to him again.  I had spoken to my doctor and his solution was for them to put me out completely as the numbing medicine no longer works with me.  This dentist is also a surgeon and is licensed (I did check) to put me out. 

I went in, filled out the paperwork.  I went thru the paperwork, explained to the Admin Assistant, who was wonderful, that I had Fibro and all that wonderful stuff.  They took me to the room, and there I waited.  It took all my self control to not bolt out the door, it also helped that someone else drove me so I didn't have the car keys.  After about 15 mins the dentist came in, asked how I was, and I replied don't want to be here.  He asked what had happened, and why it took so long to come back, and I explained the whole Fibro thing and I was officially diagnosed.  To my delight he said "glad you told me, I have other patients with Fibro, and I have to change how I treat you because of it".

Who knew?  Well of course someone knew, I was the dolt.  I was so worried about the pain factor, and having to go through with it and having to feel it all.  What an idiot I was.  I let fear overcome me, and didn't even bother to research the process, alternatives, or even call my dentist, I just completely ignored it.  I should of known better with Fibro, you need everything healthy, and I was just ignoring a part of me that was getting more and more ill.   I was an absolute fool.

Don't let fear ever run your life, research, get informed, there is always a way.  Learn from my years of  hiding in a box.

No comments:

Post a Comment