Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Imitation

I am going to apologize in advance everyone, this is going to be a bit of a rant.  I am truly trying to be more positive this year, not always working, I'm not perfect.  Today I had someone say a phrase to me, that made me want to say "are you bleeping serious", but instead excused myself and left very quickly.

What did they say?

"Oh I am tired sometimes too, I think I have Fibromyalgia"

I am sure it is not just me who has dealt with this.  Family members, close friends, and even strangers (upon hearing what I have), say "oh I am tired" or "oh I have one of the symptoms" and follow it up with "Maybe I have Fibromyalgia too". 

When this is said to me, so many things go through my mind. 
"Do you really want something as debilitating and painful as Fibromyalgia"
"Do you even know what Fibro is"
"Are you that desperate for attention that you have to imitate what I have"
"Your tired welcome to life sweety"

Not all that nice I understand, but really, these people think that what we go through is a walk in the park, that they can just say "hey I think I have that too". 

The strangers do not bother me as much as family members and friends saying something, sorry everyone, idiotic.  Is it not bad enough that we have doctors who do not believe us, or the fight we go through everyday (I am not looking for sympathy), but now we have to listen to you complain about being tired, or having a headache and then saying "oh maybe I have it to", no thank you, I do not want to. 

In fact, I have a family member, sorry to this person for mentioning this, who called me and said "you know I am feeling tired, and a little achy, isn't Fibromyalgia hereditary maybe you got it from me", this was coming from the healthiest member of my family, who does not experience one symptom that you and I may experience.  My response was simply this "you know when I go to the doctors for a checkup, on the back of his door he has a pink sign that says "Symptom - Tired, Welcome to Life."

To the family members, the friends, the support people, and the strangers Fibromyalgia is not explainable in words, if you feel tired, achy or have a headache it does not mean you have Fibro.  If you feel like you have been hit by ten or twelve mack trucks over and over again and that is a good day, then we can talk.  I know I am very fortunate and their are worse people then me.  So please do not try to sympathize with us , or relate to us with your ailments.

I think I have made myself look like an uncaring, selfish you know what, which means my rant is done.

If you are healthy be thankful, if you have Fibro be thankful we are still truly privileged.

Update:

I was at my doctors last week and took a picture of one of the new signs on his door.  For all those people who do not have Fibro, but would like to think they do because they have normal aches, pains and tired.  Please read this sign.

1 comment:

  1. So well said and i agree. same with those people who have a sore knee from running (over training - ie. 20kms/week) and say , oh could this be Fibro, please. Fibro is pain (burning, throbbing) in pretty much every part of your body, severe fatigue (not sleepy or being tired) that flattens you, muscle spasms, sleep disorder, hypoglycemia, dizziness, heart palpitations, other symptoms im sure im forgetting and not to forget some anxiety and or depression thrown on as a side dish for some with fibro. so when you deal with ALL of that, then come to me and ask, heh maybe i have fibro. cheers

    ReplyDelete