Thursday, March 10, 2011

Bruising

I have received a few emails asking if I have ever heard of or experienced bruising that is related to Fibromyalgia.

Yes, I have. 

From the research I have done, it is common among people with Fibromyalgia.  There are different types.  We are more sensitive and therefor we do experience bruising from touches that others may not.

However, I have experienced bruising where it looked like someone had hit me with a baseball bat a few times.  It started with a rash all over my body.  The rash was itchy, little red dots, and irritation all over my body.  Doctors tried creams (didn't work), and said it was a new allergy that I needed to figure out, it wasn't.  Go figure a doctor was wrong.  The rash lasted about three weeks before I saw the bruising.  It started with little finger mark bruises that would show up where I was scratching.  After about a week I woke up with huge bruises all over my body.  I must admit it was a little scary when I first saw them.  I went to numerous doctors, and Mount Sinai hospital in Toronto, which wrote in my chart, I was a victim of domestic violence (which to say the least pissed me off).  My family doctor came back from vacation, and when I saw him after tests, said I was one of the lucky ones who will experience severe bruising with Fibro.  However, I am lucky it was not anything more serious.

Now, as I said before there are different types of bruising, and any type that makes you feel uncomfortable should be checked out by a doctor, and don't let the doctor dismiss you.  Request a platelet test to make sure all is fine, doctors will try to discourage it but if you want it get the test.  Remember for the thousands of dollars doctors pay for their years of education they are wrong.  Also doctors who do believe in Fibromyalgia very few believe that it is degenerative or can cause other problems that can be more serious, and it does.

I have attached a few of the photos taken for my medical file on my photos page, to give you an idea of what is considered normal for Fibromyalgia.  However everytime I do get this type of bruising I do get a platelet test done to be safe.

Believe in yourself, only you know your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment