Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Do Doctors Think Before They Speak?

I went to my Doctors yesterday for the routine 2 week appointment.  Went through the typical questions
"What hurts?"
"Everything"

"Do you want the pain killers?"
"No"

" You having trouble sleeping?"
"Yes"

"Do you want the sleeping pills?"
"No"

"Are you still doing everything?"
"Yes"

"Are you exercising?"
"Yes"

"Are you resting"
"As much as I can"

Then came the lecture.  I should rest, and let other people help me, and take the sleeping pills at night, and blah blah blah.  I understand that with Fibro or any chronic pain disease/condition sleep is one of the most important aspects, the less sleep the more pain.  However, when you are a single mom taking sleeping pills is not a responsible course of action.  What if something happens in the middle of the night and I dont hear it because the sleeping pill is in effect (which has happened before, but thank god my mom was here, she does stay on rare occasions), what am I supposed to do?  My son has severe asthma, and should something happen in the middle of the night, who is going to drive him, or even help him while I am in a drug stupor?  

Then the rest and you shouldnt do everything.  A single mom of two kids, who else is going to do it?  Who else is going to get breakfast, kids off to school, laundry, cleaning, lunches, dinners, snacks, homework, playing, activities, reading, baths all that stuff who else is going to do it.  If gazoo from the Flinstones would like to join me and help out great.  No sorry, even better if I could wiggle my nose, or nod my head and everything is done, please give me that power.

I am told to send my kids to someone for a weekend.  Who am I supposed to send them to?  All of my family is in and out of the country, and right now they are out.  And honestly the kids are the only reason why I get up in the morning, I smile, I work through the pain, and I laugh...yes I need breaks, and I do take a hour or so for myself, but who is supposed to help me?  

I always wanted to be a mother, always, and my children are the greatest, I love them to death.  It doesnt even cross my mind to not do for them.  And I save the HELP PLEASE HELP calls for when I have full on attack, cause I dont know if it is going to be a day or three or a week until I can function again, and no matter how many times I explain this to my doctor he keeps saying "LET PEOPLE HELP AND DONT DO THE DISHES OR DONT DO THE LAUNDRY RELAX", it is so frustrating, that people do not understand this.

My children have seen alot, have asked doctors "why cant you fix mommy", and know that mommy is sick, but the last thing I am going to do is put any part of taking care of my kids on anyone else as that is my responsibility.  Yes when I have someone over they help with the dishes or help with taking the kids out, but I am not going to call someone over to do that specifically. 

I am hard headed, stubborn, and strong willed.  I have adjusted my life more than I ever wanted to, but how are you supposed to rest, take the sleeping pills, and give up the everyday activities when you are a single mom? 

Let me know what you think

Laugh lots

No comments:

Post a Comment