Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Kids Worried

We, as mothers, as parents all worry with our children.  We worry that they will hurt themselves, someone will hurt them, they will do the wrong thing, aren't eating enough, aren't sleeping enough, we worry about every little thing that has to do with our kids.  But we are happy to do it, or most of us are. 

But what about kids who worry to much?

Kids with sick parents tend to worry more so than other children.  My children know that anything with mommy can go wrong at anytime.  I have spoken to them and explained if it is something serious I will tell you, otherwise dont worry Mommy will be fine.  But saying dont worry is easy, actually not worrying is something different. 

I have daily pain (which I dont say in front of the kids), I am exhausted and unable to do everything I would like on a daily basis.  I have sat down and explained Fibromyalgia with the children, gone over all the symptoms and explained I am able to deal with these things.  On times the symptoms will be worse than they should and I will need to relax and just rest.   The children are fine with this. 

However, they worry that mommy will have a FULL BLOWN ATTACK.  Where it hurts to have the eyes open and closed, hurts to lay your head on a pillow, hurts to sit on a toilet seat, hurts to have anything touching you including the thinnest sheet or softest shirt, those who have chronic pain/Fibromyalgia know that these are just a few of the things.   It is rare for me to have a full attack, I am down to a handful a year.  However, there are also the times that mommy is rushed to the hospital.  I know it is rare with Fibromyalgia for operations and symptoms turn into hospitilizations, however with me it does, I am to about 2 a year.  Much better than before.  But my children are worried about this. 

How do you stop a child from worrying. 

Everyday I see my children and can tell which days they are worrying more than others.   The days that "Mommy are you okay?" is asked over 30 times, and I am perfectly fine.  My children seem to get more worried when I am doing fine than when I am limping, using my cane or say MOVIE DAY.  You usually get a FULL ATTACK after a good period (you get cocky and think you can do anything, at least that is how I am, and your body laughs and says nope your not in control and BOOM Attack). 

 Children are alot smarter and notice more than we think, no matter how much you admit your child is smart, they are smarter than you think.

So what do you do?

My only thought is honesty, which I am, always with my children.  I truly believe that children of people who live with Chronic Pain and Fibromyalgia suffer more than the people with the actual disease.  

Should we try to hide it or be Honest?

Laugh lots

No comments:

Post a Comment